I started by breaking the guy down completely as I posted before and now I'm at the point where I'm putting him back together. One of the possibilities we're looking at is adding some librarian type power cables to his torso. I know that adding such an iconic element can have a huge impact on him so we're thinking about this right now. Not sure where this one will go. A lot of times, I will mock something up for a Client to see how it will look before we commit to any work on the change. Seeing it mocked up can really make the difference compared to what we think it will look like in our head.
While I had everything taken apart, I spent time looking over each area of the model. One area that needed some attention was his torso. I had to clean up around his belt area and found out that a good portion of his lower left side chest plate was missing.
A little bit of greenstuff and I was in business. I'm not sure why the area appeared to be damaged originally. It may have been the bit or something that was removed from it in the first place. Hard to say. Now it'll blend in better and not detract from the model.
I used a spare Forge World shoulderpad I had lying around as an example of the skull I wanted to recreate. Not exactly, but close enough to do the trick. I've got his heraldry pad started. At least the scroll along the bottom is done. I still need to add a broken halo on the top portion.
On the skull shoulderpad, I've gone back and sculpted fangs along with adding a gem along each side as requested by my Client. That and his helmet has finally be finished. After taking the pewter Typhus head and stripping it down to remove the vents and horn, I had to rebuild the majority of the helmet plates to get everything to line back up and look "right." I added a small vent on the top to bulk it out a bit and break up the open space along with some rivets along the bottom in the front. Looking at the pic now, I think it's hard to see them.
After cleaning up his arms, I had to go back and do some touch ups there as well. In the picture, I marked all the areas red that I went back and resculpted with greenstuff to complete them. Little things like attachment brackets and filling out the armour along the back of his hand.
Ragnar Blackmane conversion
Looking at the GW version of Ragnar on the right there (image from them), there's a ton of stuff on him.
The plan is to recreate the model in terms of elements, but change his pose and make him much more dynamic looking. I've got everything I need in terms of bits and if you look at the picture below, you can see that I scored an old school bolt pistol to use for this conversion too. It should make a nice touch to the model.
He's going on a 25mm base in a rubble theme. I'm going to have to make some changes to him overall like swapping out his weapons. With the work I'll be doing on the chainsword, I want the hand joint to be as strong as possible. That means I'll be putting the chainsword in his left hand and the bolt pistol in his right. That will help tie in with his pose too since his left leg is back and his right leg will be forward. Normal people move their opposite arm forward as they move so it will allow me to make him look like he's just about getting ready to close in with his chainsword for the final attack after having just shot at his opponent.
You can see that I've got what I call the underlying portions partially built. Things like building the legs in the new position so all that's left is to greenstuff the joint or building his bolt pistol arm so all that's left is to greenstuff the handle of the pistol back in place.
There's lots more too like resculpting his top knot to make it bigger, resculpting his belt buckle, fur pelt, back half tabard... there'll be lots of greenstuff on this guy when I'm done.