Saturday, February 19, 2011

My much more low key blog

If you're here, it's because of one of two reasons.
1. You happened to stumble on this place blindly.
Or more likely...
2. You're here because your looking to see what I'm doing now that FTW has been retired so to say.

Both are okay and I'm glad you're here.

With this new site, it will not have anywhere near the bells and whistles that FTW has. Of course it will not do the job that FTW did either. That's not the point of this site. The purpose of this site is so that I can share my commission work with my Clients (friends really since I do so much work for them) and those other folks who are interested in seeing what I do.

The real focus is going to be on sharing what I've done and what I've learned. This place is not going to be as polished as FTW. Those that know, that kind of thing requires a huge amount of work to do. I'm really going to just be sharing what I do over each week (hopefully once a week) with some pics of what I'm working on at the time.

There will be no regular features, no daily columns or mandated posting.
Just hobby content as I make progress on my projects.

I've taken stock in what I'm doing and what I want to do from here on out and I'm determined not to let this blog become the priority over my work and even more importantly, my family. I love this hobby, but it will come and go over time. Family will always be here and they will always be first for me.

So, I figure the best thing to do is for you to toss this site into your list of blogs to read and when you see something new, swing by and see what I'm up to. I plan on trying to post once a week with an update on what I've been able to work on. I'd like to share the things that I've learned, tried out, experimented with and let you guys know what worked and what didn't. I don't think I'll have all the super in-depth tutorials here like I did on FTW, but I will continue sharing the tips and tricks I use in my work.

Those huge tutorials require a substantial amount of time to put together (as most of you all already know) and I'm going to be more focused on simply sharing what I do here. I will say that I'm not running away from them though. If it works out that I can post one here as part of sharing what I've done for the week, then I'll certainly be doing that.

I'm hoping that by keeping the focus very limited with this site, I can spend my time with my family and the hobby time I do get will be put to it's best use. Maybe now I can start really enjoying the hobby and look at it from a spectator standpoint instead of a business.

And for those who are curious, the name for this blog comes from how I used to paint gun barrels. I used to put a black dot on the end of them and I always thought it would make for a cool sounding painting studio name.

- Ron

edit: I struggled with whether or not to add the Followers widget to this blog. I opted to leave off the traffic coding on this site as that's not the purpose here. I want to say thank you to everyone who is signing up to follow this site. It means a great deal to me.

15 comments:

  1. I don't know how you ever had the time to keep FTW running. I even gave up doing commission work after a half dozen years.

    All the same, I've enjoyed seeing your work and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike: To be honest I didn't realize how I was doing it either until it hit me like freight train one night. Looking back, it obvious what was happening.

    That being said, thanks for the comment. With my time being more focused on commission work, I'll have much more content when I do get time to post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing your creations here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave G _ Nplusplus: Thanks. I think I'm going to collect what I do over the course of each week and post it as a collection of images and tips for viewers to see my progress. How I imagine a blog should work sometimes in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't imagine this has been an easy transition, but getting back to the family and hobby should make for a much welcomed breather.

    So have fun and keep us updated on your hobby antics whenever you feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing your work posted here. While I appreciated the great information resource that FTW was/is, just seeing what you had been up to was my reason to visit 99% of them time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hephesto: Honestly, the transition has been easy, the decision to start down this road was easy as well. Once everything was put into perspective for me (life has a way of doing that) it all became clear and there really was no other "right" decision to be made.

    I hope to post here with much more content and no filler at all. I'm shooting for maybe once a week with other posts as things come up.

    The Inner Geek: Well then you'll enjoy this site. I plan on posting all my finished and WIP stuff each week and like I mentioned to Hephesto, it's going to be content driven without all the filler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see that we'll still get to enjoy your work. It's blogs like this that really inspire me to step up the quality of my own painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alex: Thanks for the kind words. Make sure to stop by as I post and let me know what you think. I'm always open to others honest opinions of my work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this blog looking forward to seeing regular content!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrty: Thanks and I've got plenty more coming. I'm still developing my posting style for this blog, but rest assured, it will not be lacking in content.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ron, long time no see. I happen to swing by FTW and noticed the link to here. Can not wait to see more of what you have to show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. pokey000: Thanks for commenting, glad to have you over here too. I've got lots to share, so I'll be looking for your two cents more often my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a follower of Spain, I'm glad to see that you continue your work on this new blog, I love seeing your work and enjoy and learn a lot. Good luck in this new stage. sorry for my lenguage ;).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fran: Thanks for following and don't worry about the language.
    I'm glad I've been able to help you with your hobby stuff too.

    ReplyDelete