Sunday, March 27, 2011

Deathwing Squad assembled and primed

In between other projects this past week, I found a little time to get the 5-man squad assembled and based.

I'd like to talk about their bases for a minute. There are tons of resin bases out there and with a little work, you can even make your own.

But I elected to pick these up from Secret Weapon Miniatures for one reason really. They are plain. I know that runs counter to what most people look for in a base, but hear me out.

I deliberately chose these because they were not loaded to the edges with every kind of space debris you could think of. There is a downside to that though. There is not much on the base. And that's ok in this case, because I'm going for more of an open look on their bases to showcase the models.

With a bit of careful painting, I'll be able to make the light colored models really pop from the dark metal base. The squad is for display as well, so I don't have to worry about them being "gamer friendly" and holding up to the rigors of game play (meaning I can add delicate elements). There are those occasions where your base can make your model tough to use on the tabletop. It's rare, but it's out there.

The one thing I'm not too fond of is the lack of exaggeration on the base. By that, I mean the elements on the base are scaled down and more accurately reflect real life elements. They are not enlarged or exaggerated for effect like most things in the 40k world. This is good and bad.


In the end, it'll make the models look all the better since the environment they'll be in will look even more real than an exaggerated base would do, but I'm going to have to be real careful painting these. Too heavy with the paint and it's bye bye surface details.

It's an additional challenge when it comes to working with things like this. Forge World pieces have this same issue. With so many details being scaled down and included, you have to be careful when it comes to painting. It's definitely worth it, but these bases may not be for you if you're not confident in your ability to pull out all the subtle details on a model.

If you're looking for that extra bit of realism and you've got the ability to add your own touch to your bases, then these are perfect for you. It's the best of both. I'm really looking forward to getting them painted, adding a few of my own details and coming up with something nobody else can buy for their army.

I spent today painting one up... well at least part of one to see how the color scheme might work out for the armour.


I really like the look. It has the cool shadows and the warm bone color where the light hits the armour. This is a rough paint up too, so don't mind the brush marks in some places on his leg.

The grey and the bone color are the same value so it's easy to blend the two of them together (well not easy) and the value stays consistent. Then it's a matter of adding a highlight into the warm areas and a shadow to the deep recessed areas.

For a "white" model, he's got tons of color on him.

8 comments:

  1. Looking good Ron. Are these for your personal army or the ones you mentioned earlier, for a store or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean: Thanks, these are for a Client of mine. I am painting up this one squad, but am having some real trouble getting the right look to the armour.

    I've got a test model in the works, so we'll see how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do like the start of the paint job it does make me want to redo my deathwing terminators but i need to improve my technique first before i go into more detail on the models. going to replace models overtime as i improve in painting thou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I default to browns when I am shading bone white. The grey looks fantastic, and nails the warm versus cool thing you have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. advice on gettin it right:
    airbrush

    spraying from a constant angle, with each successive coat (build up the colour slowly, not in 1 hit), without actually having to change colour, will give you a slow high light.
    You go about this much in the same way as layering, but as the paint is sprayed out, it feathers the edges in more.
    Once the colour is finished, wash it to tie it all in (being a bone colour id go sepia but thined out more, depending on how bone-ish or white you want the colour).
    Once thats done, a final pass with the airbrush with the original colour, but only coat it like your first coat. This way, only the detail and the areas not in shadow will get a coat.

    Also good for doing the metal flooring, as the airbrush will lay the metallic all at the same angle, giving a uniform appearance. And it wont flood the detail. Then just wash and ink to give the depth and oil spots n such, and pic out any hazard lines with thinned out paint (but do that before the washes and such, so it looks like everything happened after the deck was painted).

    For the airbrush, a ratio of 5:1:1 paint:flow medium:windex, for the painting the detail, about the same but swap windex for water if you prefer.

    Reasons for mr using windex can be found here:
    http://conceptstorealities.blogspot.com/2010/10/paint-and-you.html

    Ive started an easterlings force for LOTR, and am using that technique to get the gold done.
    Shining gold, ogryn flesh wash, then a pass again of shining gold to finish it off.
    I taught a mate of mine how to do it on his marines, going from blazing orange to the foundation orange, but puttin the wash on after the colours to tie them together.

    The way ive done my shading of bone is starting with chardon granite, then using a ratio of 5:1:1 bleached bone:flow medium:water i slowly build the colour up with my brush (only when painting skulls and skeletons), then wash with sepia and devlan mud, for that old aged skull on the shelf look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learza: I am working on a full model and it's taking some time to do all the armour panels. Even with a small force, this could take some real time to do.

    Drathmere: I'm trying to get the cool tones in the shadow areas, but I'm not sure about how it's coming out. I used to use brown as well and while it works, I'm trying to go that extra step with these guys.

    Mephistopheles: Excellent stuff, thanks. I really do need to get my airbrush up and running. Maybe one day I'll get off my backside and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "White" part looks nice and clean. Any chance you can post the way you did it? It will be really helpful for my Luna Wolves army that I'm working on right now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon: I am putting the whole thing together today and will post the "test" model that I did tomorrow.

    It looks quite different once completed and weathered. I will say that it's nice enough to make me think twice about using the black scheme and maybe jumping over to the bone color for my own force.

    ReplyDelete