A big part of yesterday's work included building the understructure and sculpting the fur pelt he has draped over his right shoulder. One of the key things was making sure I gave the whole thing movement.
The cloak couldn't just lay there flat. With him mid-stride, the pelt needed to reflect that as well. Not impossible, but a bit harder to pull than a regular hanging cloak.
One other aspect was making sure the texture was the same between the plastic wolf head, paws and the rest of the pelt.
Building the pelt structure was done with index card. The head was glued in place on his right shoulderpad and after looking at the original model, I estimated how far down I wanted each pelt arm to fall. A little bending to get the right shape along with some trimming to fit and I was all set.
With the index card piece cut to shape, I superglued it in place. Using a rather fluid superglue as opposed to a gel consistency glue, I was able to coat the index card and let it absorb the glue. This basically turned it into plastic and I could sculpt right on top of a rigid struture and get the shape I wanted.
This is the key to getting the pelt off the body and flowing in the wind. Without the understructure, it would be near impossible for me to do. I glued the paw at the end and added a layer of greenstuff over the top. Making sure to match the texture was the last step in the illusion.
I did have to sculpt his left handed bolt pistol holster from scratch. Even though he's holding the gun with his right hand, the model has it on his left hip and it was the only open space left on the model really. Tucking it under his right arm would have made it disappear with the pelt hanging there.
Using a right handed holster as a guide for the shape, I flattened out a bit of greenstuff to the same thickness as the body of the holster. Once it cured, I cut it out to the correct shape. The flap, the button and the pull tab were all extras that were added to the body of the holster once it was glued in place.
I think it works pretty well in the end. Not bad for a first attempt at building on of these from scratch.
And just a couple more shots of the model as it sits on my desk right now. You can really see how working on top of the index card structure allows me to get the pelt up and away from his body as though the wind were catching it as he runs.
At this point, I need to get the chains in place across his chest and then I can add on his head with all his hair. Last but not least will be his left forearm since it comes across the front of the model. If I were to add it now, it'd be impossible to get in there and work on those pieces still left to do.
I cut his arm at the wrist so I could reposition the chainsword at just the right angle too. It was a little awkward trying to glue just a shoulder in place so I could add the shoulderpad to that.
I need to swing by a craft store and buy some small jewelry chain so the scale is correct. I don't have enough to do this model with what I have on my desk right now. I thought I did, but of course I was wrong.
All in all, I think I've got another day or so of work on this guy to finish him up.